Green Zebra Guidelines for Community Partners
Here at Green Zebra Grocery we believe in building community. One of our company values that we talk about at staff meetings and hang lovingly on the wall of our office is:
“Be an Outstanding Community Partner.”
We believe that great communities are a foundation for happy people and a happy planet. That’s why for us, partnering in our community is not burden or a PR move, but an important responsibility and a privilege
We have partnered with over 30 community organizations since we opened in October 2013. Our contributions have taken the form of donations of gift cards and products, hosting events, giving tours to students, and more.
If you think that Green Zebra Grocery can help you achieve your mission to improve our local community, please read on to learn about our criteria, budget, timeline, and more.
We determine our donation grantees based on the following five criteria. The more criteria that your organization meets, the more likely you are to receive a donation from Green Zebra.
- The prospective partner is a neighborhood organization (within 2 miles of the store).
- The prospective partner will use the donation to support or promote food security.
- The prospective partner will use the donation to support education (bonus for food education).
- The prospective partner will use the donation to support health and wellness.
- The prospective partner will use the donation to build community.
How to Apply
Please submit a donation request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember – you are emailing real people, and we care about who you are and how you’re going to use our contribution. Tell us about your organization and mission. Let us know how our donation will help you. Make your case!
We are one neighborhood grocery store with a small community donations budget. We generally contribute to our partners in the form of gift cards and product, and additionally we donate a discretionary amount of staff time and other non-monetary items on a case-by-case basis.
Requests for contributions from Green Zebra Grocery are due on the 25th of each month for future months, and all requests will be considered and responded to between the 26th and the last day of each month for the month(s) ahead.
For example, if you have a request for a donation for an event in May, the last day to submit a request is the 25th of April and we will respond to you between the 26th and 30th of April. You may submit donation requests further in advance as well, but we will not consider requests for donations for events that are more than 60 days after the end of our review period.
We reserve the right to accelerate this timeline in specific cases, but especially for partners we have worked with in the past with good results.
What we Expect of our Community Partners
- They publicize that they were supported by Green Zebra Grocery in a manner consistent with how the publicize other donors in their written, graphic, and verbal communications.
- They answer a simple one question survey we can use for our future promotional materials (How did our donation support your mission?”)
- We can publicly acknowledge our support for them in any of our communications.